1 cups plain flour
2 tbsp caster sugar
100 g cold unsalted butter, chopped
1 egg yolk
2- 3 tbsp cold water
395 g can sweetened condensed milk
75 g unsalted butter, chopped
⅔ cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
150 g cream cheese, chopped, at room temperature
3 egg whites, at room temperature
⅔ cup caster sugar
- Lightly grease a 25cm x 3cm deep loose-base flan tin (base measuring 23cm).
- Process flour, sugar and butter to form fine crumbs. With motor operating, add egg yolk and enough water until mixture starts to come together. Remove. Shape into a flat disc. Refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Roll out pastry between two sheets baking paper until large enough to line tin. Lift into tin. Trim. Pinch pastry against side of tin to extend 5mm above edge. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Place on an oven tray. Cover with a sheet of baking paper. Fill with dried beans or rice.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for 20 minutes. Remove paper and beans. Cook for a further 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly golden and cooked. Cool.
- To make caramel, place milk, butter and sugar in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Stir over a medium to low heat until combined. Stir constantly over a medium heat for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown and slightly thickened. Stir in cheese until smooth. Spread into pastry case. Refrigerate until cold.
- To make meringue, beat egg whites in a small bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Beat in sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, until thick and glossy. Spread over filling.
- Cook in a very hot oven (240C) for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until meringue is lightly golden. Refrigerate until cool enough to remove from tin.