Health benefits of sweet potato
Sweet potatoes have a whole host of health benefits, not only are they low in carbohydrates but they contain:
- Vitamin A: which promotes eye and skin health
- Vitamin C: helps protect immune system
- Vitamin B6: helps metabolism function
- Fibre: helps bowel function
- Potassium: brain and muscle function
- Calcium: bone and teeth strength
Types of Sweet Potato
Australia is home to four types of sweet potato.
1. Gold is the most common variety in Australia. It can be recognised by its gold skin and orange flesh.
Varieties: Beauregard, Bellevue, Orleans
2. Red, known for its milk flavour has white flesh and red to purple skin which is often confused with purple sweet potato.
Varieties: Northern Star
3. Purple, loaded with antioxidants purple sweet potato has white skin and a distinctive purple flesh.
4. White, the lesser common of the sweet potatoes in Australia. White sweet potatoes have the same shape as gold sweet potatoes but have white flesh and skin.
Here are some of our favourite low carb sweet potato recipes:
1. Tuna, sweet potato and brown rice cakes
These can be used in sandwiches, with salads or whichever way you like! Tasty chunks of sweet potato mixed with herbs, cheese and tuna. Get the full recipe.
2. Sweet potato & black bean chilli with zesty quinoa
This nutritionally balanced chilli includes yeast extract to help boost vitamin B12 intake. The quinoa and pumpkin seed mix gives you an added hit of protein. Get the full recipe.
3. Smoky paprika and sweet potato soup with chickpeas and prosciutto
This delightfully smoky soup topped with prosciutto will liven up your evening. Get the full recipe.
4. Massaman Sweet Potato Curry
This vegetarian dinner is so good, you'll forget it's meat-free!
5. Mexican Bean Sweet Potato Splits
The whole family will LOVE this Mexican dinner ... with a twist! Get the full recipe.