Cooking oil spray, to grease
3 cups grated carrot
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups plain flour
1½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
½ cup chopped walnuts plus extra to serve
Cream Cheese icing
250 g cream cheese, chopped
50 g unsalted butter, chopped
¼ cup icing sugar mixture
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease a 20cm round cake tin with cooking oil spray. Line base and side with baking paper.
- Put carrot, sugar, oil and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Mix with a plastic spatula until combined.
- Sift flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and spices into a second large mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre. Pour carrot mixture into flour mixture and gently stir until well combined. Stir in walnuts. Spoon mixture into prepared tin.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until cake is cooked when tested with a skewer. Set aside to cool in tin for 5 minutes. Turn cake out, then transfer to a wire rack right-side up to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, to make cream cheese icing, put cheese and butter in the large bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on high, using paddle attachment, until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low, then add icing sugar. Beat until combined, then increase speed to high and beat until fluffy.
- Spoon icing onto cooled cake and spread evenly over top and side.
- Push extra chopped walnuts into icing on side of cake to decorate. Serve.