3 large carrots, peeled
2 large carrots, peeled, separate
3½ cups self-raising flour
1½ tsp baking powder
2 tsp mixed spice
½ cup raisins, chopped
½ cup walnuts, finely chopped, plus extra to serve
1 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
75 ml vegetable oil
2 litres vegetable oil, to deep-fry
250 g block cream cheese at room temperature, cubed
125 g unsalted butter, softened
500 g icing sugar mixture, sifted
2 tsp vanilla extract
- Line an oven tray with baking paper. Steam carrots until very tender. Transfer to a blender and puree to form a smooth mash. Set aside to cool. You need 1 cup of carrot mash. Coarsely grate extra carrots.
- Sift flour, baking powder and spice into a large bowl, then mix in raisin, walnut and brown sugar. Whisk egg, vegetable oil and carrot mash in a second large bowl until well combined, then add to dry ingredients with grated carrot. Mix well to form a soft dough. Flatten into a large rectangle 2cm thick on prepared tray. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until firm.
- Using an 8cm round biscuit cutter, cut 9 circles. Reform dough, then cut 3 more circles. Using a 2cm round biscuit cutter, remove centres to form rings.
- Pour oil into a large deep saucepan until 5cm deep. Heat to 180°C on a cook’s thermometer, or until a cube of bread turns golden in 30 seconds. Cook dough rings, turning several times, in 4 batches for 4-5 minutes or until golden and just cooked through. Drain on paper towel.
- Put cream cheese, butter, icing sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium, using paddle attachment, for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Spread onto cooled doughnuts, then scatter with chopped walnuts and serve.