Create Bake Make has jazzed up the classic carrot cake recipe and turned it into a slice, with all your favourite bits (walnuts & cream cheese icing) included!
150 g butter, melted
1 ⅓ cup self-raising flour
1 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp desiccated coconut
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
¾ cup grated carrots (around 2 medium-sized carrots)
½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
¼ cup sultanas
¼ cup currants
Cream cheese icing
250 g cream cheese, softened
180 g butter, softened
220 g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and line a 28cm x 18cm slice tin with baking paper. Make sure you leave paper hanging over the sides of the tin to help you remove the slice once it has cooked.
- Place all slice ingredients into a large bowl and mix with a large spoon until combined.
- Pour the carrot cake slice mixture into your prepared tin and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the top of the slice is golden. Every oven is different, so test by inserting a skewer into the centre of the slice – the skewer should come out with no batter on it. Carefully remove the slice from the oven and allow it to cool completely in the tin.
- To make the cream cheese icing, place the softened cream cheese and butter into the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on a medium speed for 3 minutes until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add the icing sugar and vanilla extract, and mix on a low speed for 1 minute. Increase the speed to high and mix for a further 3 minutes until the mixture is well combined.
- Use a butter knife to spread the icing over the top of the slice and place it into the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up.
- Carefully remove the slice from the tin (using the excess baking paper as ‘handles’) and cut the slice into 4.5cm squares.