¾ cup low-GI cane sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup vegetable oil
1½ cups self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
2 cups grated carrot (240 g, about 2 carrots)
½ cup shredded coconut, toasted, to decorate
220 g extra-light spreadable cream cheese
2 tblsps low-GI soft icing mixture
2 tsps finely grated lemon rind
- Grease a 20cm round cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper.
- Beat sugar, eggs and oil in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Transfer to a large bowl. Add combined sifted flour, soda, spices and carrot. Stir until well combined. Spoon into prepared pan.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 45 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Stand cake in pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, make lemon frosting. Place all ingredients in a small bowl of an electric mixer. Beat until smooth.
- Spread lemon frosting over cooled cake. Decorate with coconut.