1 cup brown sugar firmly packed (200 g)
1 cup vegetable oil (250 ml)
2 tsps vanilla essence
1.5 cups self-raising flour (240 g)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
1 cup walnuts chopped (120 g)
2 cups carrot grated
½ cup walnuts (extra) (60 g)
cream cheese frosting
150 g cream cheese at room temperature
50 g unsalted butter at room temperature
2 cups icing sugar mixture (320 g)
2 tsps lemon juice
- Grease a 20cm round cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper.
- Beat eggs, sugar, oil and essence in a small bowl of an electric mixer until thick and creamy. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in combined sifted flour, soda, cinnamon and spice. Stir in walnuts then carrot. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth over top.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 1 hour, 10 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Stand in pan for 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make cream cheese frosting, beat cheese and butter in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add icing sugar, beating until thick. Beat in juice.
- Spread frosting over top and side of cold cake. Top with extra walnuts.