700 g Carisma potatoes, unpeeled
20 g light margarine
1 egg yolk (from 50g egg)
80 g salt-reduced shaved leg ham or gluten-free ham, finely chopped
80 g (1 cup) reduced-fat grated cheese
Freshly ground black pepper, to season
55 g (⅓ cup) wholemeal plain flour or gluten-free flour
100 g (2 cups) panko breadcrumbs or gluten-free breadcrumbs
50 g egg, lightly whisked
60 ml (¼ cup) low-fat milk
Olive oil cooking spray
50 g (2 cups) mixed salad leaves
250 g punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
1 Lebanese cucumber, peeled into ribbons
1 lemon cut into wedges to serve
- Put potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Cover and bring to the boil over a high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook, partially covered, for 30 minutes or until potatoes are very tender. Drain and set aside for 10 minutes or until cool enough to peel.
- Peel potatoes and put in a large bowl. Add margarine and mash with a potato masher until smooth. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes. Stir in egg yolk, ham, cheese and pepper. Form mixture into 18 small sausage shapes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (fan-forced). Line an oven tray with baking paper. Put flour and breadcrumbs on separate large plates. Put egg and milk in a shallow bowl and whisk to combine. Coat croquettes in flour, followed by egg mixture, then in breadcrumbs. Put on prepared tray. Refrigerate for 20 minutes to chill.
- Combine salad leaves, tomato and cucumber in a large bowl.
- Spray croquettes with cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes or until light golden brown and crisp on the outside. Serve with salad and lemon wedges, if you like.