250 g packet frozen spinach thawed
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion finely chopped
2 garlic cloves crushed
1 tsp ground nutmeg
500 g fresh ricotta
2 tbsp finely grated lemon rind
½ bunch fresh basil
1 egg lightly beaten
8 sheets filo pastry
125 g butter melted
2 tsp sesame seeds
1 packet mixed salad leaves to serve
200 g feta crumbled
- Squeeze thawed spinach to remove any excess moisture.
- Heat oil in a small frying pan. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft. Stir in nutmeg. Transfer to a large bowl. Add spinach, ricotta, feta, rind, basil and egg. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Layer pastry sheets together on a lightly greased oven tray, brushing with butter between each layer. Spoon spinach mixture lengthways down the centre of pastry to form a log shape. Fold over short sides then, starting at one long side, roll up to enclose filling. Flip over so the seam faces down, then brush with butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 25 minutes, or until pastry is crisp and golden brown. Let stand on tray for 10 minutes to cool.
- Serve cut into thick slices with green salad on the side.