160 g dried fettuccine or gluten-free pasta
300 g broccoli, cut into small florets
1 tbsp pine nuts
12 fresh sage leaves
Extra virgin olive oil cooking spray
1 tsp cornflour or gluten-free cornflour
185 ml can light and creamy evaporated milk
125 ml light cream
2 large eggs
3 tbsp reduced-fat grated cheese
20 g parmesan shavings, to serve
Freshly ground black pepper, to serve
60 g (2 cups) mixed salad leaves
2 Lebanese cucumbers, peeled into ribbons
1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- Cook pasta in a medium saucepan of boiling water, following pack instructions or until al dente, adding broccoli for the last 2 minutes. Drain and separate pasta and broccoli, reserving a little of the cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180°C (fan-forced). Line an oven tray with baking paper. Arrange pine nuts, in a single layer, on half of the prepared tray. Arrange sage leaves on the remaining half of tray. Spray leaves with cooking spray. Bake for 5 minutes or until nuts are golden brown and sage leaves crisp. Set aside.
- Put cornflour in a small bowl. Whisk in enough milk to form a smooth paste. Whisk in remaining milk, cream for cooking and eggs. Set aside.
- Return pasta to pan. Add milk mixture and cook, stirring, over a medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until sauce thickens and coats pasta, adding a little of the reserved cooking liquid if mixture is too thick. Add broccoli and grated cheese and toss to combine.
- To make salad, put all ingredients in a large bowl. Toss to combine.
- Transfer pasta mixture to a platter. Sprinkle over parmesan, pine nuts and sage. Sprinkle with pepper and serve with salad.