1 tsp olive oil
2 onions, 1 red, 1 white, chopped (or whatever you have)
3 garlic cloves, chopped or crushed
2 small carrots, grated
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
1 tsp dried oregano
500 g beef mince (or lamb)
2 tsp tomato purée
400 g can chopped tomatoes
500 g carton passata
1 dash Worcestershire sauce
195 g can sweetcorn, drained
500 g pack of dry large pasta tubes, cooked
200 ml tub crème fraîche
100 g grated cheese (we used cheddar)
crunchy salad or cooked broccoli, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan on a medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions and garlic to the saucepan, stir well and cook for 4-5 mins until just starting to colour. Stir in the grated carrot and herbs.
- Add the mince to the pan and cook for 3-4 mins or until browned, breaking up the mince with a wooden spoon.
- Add the tomato purée and cook for 1 min. Add the tomatoes and passata and stir well. Season with a dash of Worcestershire sauce and black pepper, then reduce the heat and cook for a further 30-40 mins. Add the sweetcorn about 5 mins before the sauce is done.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan. Once the sauce has reduced and cooled, fill the pasta tubes using a dessertspoon and lay each one on their side in an ovenproof dish measuring 30 × 20cm.
- Spoon over the remaining sauce, cover with the crème fraîche and sprinkle on the grated cheese.
- Cover with foil and cook in the oven for 45 mins. Remove the foil and bake for another 5-10 mins until the cheese is golden brown. Serve with crunchy salad or broccoli.