1 cup plain flour
1 cup icing sugar mixture, plus extra to serve
125 g cream cheese, chilled, chopped
1 free-range egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 Tbsp iced water
600 g cherries, pitted, plus extra to serve
1 ½ Tbsp cornflour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground black pepper
2 Tbsp dark rum
1 free-range egg, beaten
aerosol whipped cream, to serve
mint leaves, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 180°C fanforced (200ºC conventional). Combine flour and 2 Tbsp of the icing sugar in the bowl of a food processor and pulse several times. Add cream cheese and pulse until crumbly. Add yolk, vanilla and iced water, then pulse until a dough forms. Wrap dough in plastic wrap, then chill for 1 hour.
- Combine cherries, cornflour, cinnamon, pepper and remaining icing sugar in a medium bowl, then toss to coat thoroughly. Mix in rum.
- Roll out pastry on a lightly floured board to 3mm thick. Use a round cookie cutter to cut 8 discs the size of jar opening. Press a disc into the base of four 375ml capacity oven-proof mason jars. Top with cherry mixture.
- Use a fork to decoratively crimp remaining 4 pastry discs, then arrange in jars on top of cherry layer.
- Brush pastry tops with beaten egg, then bake for 20-22 minutes or until pastry is golden and filling is bubbling up onto it.
- Dust with extra icing sugar, dollop with whipped cream and garnish with mint and extra cherries.