2 corn cobs
80 ml extra virgin olive oil plus extra for greasing
1 large brown onion, diced
2 large cloves garlic, finely grated
3 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp chilli powder
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
500 g chicken thigh mince
1 egg, lightly whisked
1 handful coriander leaves, chopped plus extra for garnish
½ tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to season
Juice of ½ a lime
1 jar chutney (or relish) to serve
- Preheat grill pan over a high heat. Brush corn with ½ tbsp of the oil and grill for 6-8 minutes, turning regularly until charred.
- Remove corn from heat. Once cool enough to handle, cut kernels off cob using a large sharp knife, cutting twice down cob to cut kernels in half. Put in a large bowl.
- Put onion, garlic, spices and 1 tbsp of the oil in a small frying pan over a medium heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until soft. Add to bowl with corn.
- Add breadcrumbs, chicken mince, egg, coriander, salt and pepper. Using your hands, mix until well combined.
- Lightly grease your hands with extra olive oil. Take 70g portions of mixture and form into oval balls, flatten slightly, then set aside on a plate.
- Return grill pan to a medium heat. Once hot, cook koftas, in batches, for 5 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Dice avocado and arrange on servings plates. Squeeze over lime juice, drizzle over remaining oil and garnish with extra coriander leaves. Add koftas to plates and serve with chutney or relish on the side.