1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 ½ litres salt-reduced chicken stock
2 x 90 g bundles dried soba noodles
100 g fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, thinly sliced
¼ cup sweet white miso paste
1 carrot, peeled coarsely grated
3 cups shredded wombok
sliced green spring onions, to garnish
750 g chicken mince
½ cup fresh breadcrumbs
3 green spring onions, finely chopped
1 Tbsp ginger paste
1 Tbsp sweet white miso paste
2 cloves garlic, crushed
- To make chicken balls, combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Using wet hands, roll heaped tablespoons of mixture into balls (makes 24). Place on a large tray. Cover. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a non-stick stockpot over a medium heat. Add chicken balls in two batches. Cook, turning regularly, for about 5 minutes, or until browned all over. Remove. Wipe pan clean.
- Add stock to same stockpot. Bring to boil. Return chicken balls. Gently boil for 5 minutes. Add noodles and mushrooms. Gently boil for a further 4 minutes, or until balls are completely cooked through.
- Stir in miso paste until combined. Stir in carrot and cabbage. Remove from heat.
- Serve soup in bowls. Garnish with spring onions.