1¼ cups dried black beans
8 chicken thigh cutlets with skin on (1.5 kg), trimmed
2 tsp Mexican chilli powder
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tbsp olive oil
4 bacon rashers (330 g), rind removed, finely chopped
2 large red capsicums, sliced
1 large onion, halved, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup frozen corn kernels
2 cups chicken stock
Chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
- The day before, place beans in a strainer and wash well under cold water. Transfer to large bowl. Cover with cold water. Stand at room temperature to soak overnight.
- Next day, drain beans, then rinse again under cold water. Drain.
- Combine chicken and chilli powder in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large, flameproof roasting pan over a high heat. Add chicken, skin side down, in two batches. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side, or until browned. Remove.
- Add bacon, capsicums, onion and garlic to same pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Stir in beans, corn and stock. Bring to boil. Remove from heat. Cover tightly with foil.
- Cook in a hot oven (200C) for 20 minutes. Remove from oven. Arrange chicken over beans. Re-cover with foil. Cook for a further 20 minutes. Remove foil. Cook for a further 15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked and beans are tender.
- Serve bake garnished with chopped fresh parsley.