3 kg chicken bones, chopped
1 bunch green shallots, trimmed
4 cm piece ginger, sliced
20 black peppercorns
6 cloves garlic, sliced
4 L water, room temperature
1 carrot, chopped
2 sticks celery, chopped
1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
Sea-salt flakes and black pepper, to season
200 g chicken thigh fillets
4 slices white bread, crusts removed
½ cup pure cream
½ tsp ground nutmeg
1 pinch chilli powder
¼ bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped, to serve
- Combine chicken bones, shallot, ginger, peppercorns, garlic and water in a large saucepan and put over a high heat. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours, occasionally skimming surface to remove foam. After 2 hours, you should have about 2L stock remaining.
- Strain stock through a fine sieve into a second large saucepan. Add carrot, celery and mushroom, then season with salt. Return to a medium-low heat and simmer.
- Put chicken thigh fillets, bread, eggs, cream, nutmeg and chilli in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth, then season with salt and pepper.
- Shape 2 Tbsp of the chicken mixture into an egg shape and set aside on a plate. Repeat with remaining chicken mixture.
- Spoon chicken dumplings into simmering stock and increase heat to medium. Cook for 7 minutes or until dumplings are just firm. Divide dumplings and soup among serving bowls. Top with parsley to serve.