2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
500 g skinless chicken breast fillets, trimmed of excess fat
1 leek, trimmed, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
2 celery sticks, finely chopped
700 g orange sweet potatoes, peeled, chopped
300 g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
½ bunch thyme, leaves picked
2 Tbsp wholemeal plain flour
435 ml skim milk
½ bunch kale, inner core removed, finely shredded
1 Tbsp wholegrain mustard
½ tsp smoked paprika
55 g grated reduced-fat mozzarella
1 25% reduced-fat shortcrust pastry sheet, thawed
60 g free-range egg, lightly whisked
- Heat 1/4 teaspoon of the oil in a small non-stick frying pan over medium. Cook chicken for 3 minutes each side or until almost cooked. Transfer to a plate, cover loosely with foil and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Add leek and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-6 minutes or until leek starts to soften.
- Meanwhile, put sweet potato and 60ml (¼ cup) water in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and cook on High/100% for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Stir mushrooms, garlic and thyme into leek mixture. Increase heat to high and cook, stirring often, for 2-3 minutes or until mushrooms soften. Add flour to pan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a simmer. Add kale and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until softened. Remove pan from heat. Stir in sweet potato, mustard, paprika and cheese.
- Chop chicken into pieces and stir into vegie mixture. Spoon into a 2L (8-cup) rectangular ovenproof dish. Set aside for 1 hour to cool.
- Preheat oven to 190°C (fan-forced). Roll out pastry on a lightly floured sheet of baking paper large enough to cover filling. Place on top of filling, pinching on edge of dish to seal. Trim excess. Make a few small slits in the top to help steam escape while cooking. Brush pastry with a little egg. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve.