8 chicken drumsticks (1 kg)
2 tbsp plain flour
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 onion, chopped
2 bacon rashers, rind removed, chopped
150 g button mushrooms, halved
2 tbsp tomato paste
1½ cups water
1 chicken stock cube, crumbled
1½ tsp dried thyme leaves
600 g brushed potatoes, peeled, chopped
¼ cup milk
2 tsp butter
Green beans, to serve (optional)
Fresh thyme, to garnish (optional)
- Place chicken in a large, plastic storage bag. Sprinkle with flour and season with salt and pepper. Seal bag. Toss to coat.
- Heat a lightly oiled, large, non-stick frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add chicken in two batches. Cook for about 5 minutes, turning, until browned all over. Remove chicken from pan.
- Add onion and bacon to same pan. Cook, stirring, until soft. Add mushrooms and paste. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in water, stock cube and thyme. Bring to boil.
- Return chicken to pan. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Remove cover. Simmer for a further 10 minutes, or until chicken is tender and sauce is thickened.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a medium saucepan. Cover with cold water. Gently boil for about 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain. Return to pan with milk and butter. Season. Mash until smooth.
- Serve chicken and sauce over mash with green beans (optional). Garnish with thyme (optional).