540 g strong baker's flour
70 g golden caster sugar
2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp instant yeast
3 lemons, zested
130 g butter, thinly sliced
2 litres oil for deep-frying
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 shallot, chopped
¼ red chilli, seeded and chopped
2 tsp sherry vinegar
2 tsp fish sauce
200 g white crab meat
40 ml tomato base (see above)
30 g crème fraîche
1 small handful basil, finely shredded
1 lemon, juiced
- Using an electric mixer fitted with the hook attachment, mix the flour, sugar, salt and yeast on a slow speed. In a separate bowl, mix 140ml water, the eggs and lemon zest.
- Slowly add the liquids to the flour mix, still mixing on a slow speed, until a dough forms. Increase the speed and knead for 10-12 minutes, or until the dough detaches from the sides of the bowl and looks smooth and elastic.
- Reduce the speed to slow and add the butter, a slice at a time. Once all the butter has been incorporated, increase the speed and knead for a further 5-6 minutes until the dough looks smooth. Cover the bowl with cling wrap and put in the fridge for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- For the tomato base, cut the tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds. Grate the flesh of the tomatoes on a box grater, discarding the skins.
- Put the grated tomato flesh in a food processor with the garlic, shallot, chilli, vinegar and fish sauce. Blend until smooth, season with salt, then transfer the mix to a muslin cloth and leave to hang over a bowl for 2 hours.
- Roll out the doughnut dough on a lightly floured surface until 2cm thick and cut out 5cm circles. Roll each into a ball and put on a well-oiled baking sheet.
- Fill a deep saucepan halfway with oil and, over a medium heat, bring the oil to 175C. Deep-fry the doughnuts, 4 at a time, basting them constantly with the oil until golden brown (around 4-5 minutes). Drain on a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- Combine all the ingredients for the crab, mix well and season. Make a slice in the doughnuts, not going all the way through, and fill with the crab mixture. Sprinkle with a few sea salt flakes to serve.