25 g unsalted butter, melted
8 medium croissants (400 g)
220 g milk chocolate with top white chocolate layer bar, chopped
3 small bananas (440 g), peeled, thinly sliced
½ cup chopped pecans
Double cream or ice-cream, to serve
5 eggs, lightly beaten
⅓ cup caster sugar
2 cups full cream milk
300 ml carton pure cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Brush butter over base and sides of a rectangular ovenproof dish (10-cup capacity). Place in a large roasting pan.
- Split croissants in half horizontally. Arrange bases of croissants in prepared dish. Top with half the chocolate, banana and pecans. Repeat layering with croissant tops and remaining chocolate, banana and pecans.
- To make custard, whisk eggs and sugar in a large jug until combined. Add milk, cream and vanilla. Whisk well. Carefully pour over croissants in dish. Stand 30 minutes to soak.
- Pour enough boiling water into roasting pan to come halfway up side of dish.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 45 to 50 minutes, or until egg mixture has set and top is crisp and golden. Stand for 10 minutes.
- Serve with double cream or ice-cream.