6 egg whites
1 ½ cups caster sugar
1 tsp cornflour
1 tsp white vinegar
2 x 250 g punnet fresh strawberries, hulled, quartered
50 g dark cooking chocolate, melted
300 ml thickened cream
1 tbsp icing sugar mixture
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Grease an oven tray. Trace n 18cm-diameter circle onto a sheet of baking paper. Place on prepared tray, trace-side down.
- Beat egg whites in a large bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, beating well after each addition, until dissolved. Beat for a further 5 minutes, or until mixture is smooth and glossy. Beat in corn our and vinegar. Spoon meringue into circle on prepared tray. Spread to edge.
- Cook in a very slow oven (120C) for about 1 hour, or until dry and crisp. Turn off oven. Cool in oven with door ajar.
- To make vanilla cream, beat all ingredients in a small bowl of an electric mixer until firm peaks form.
- Place pavlova on a serving plate. Top with cream and berries. Drizzle with chocolate.