Sticky date and chocolate meringue cake is the decadent dessert you've been looking for
300 g Dark Chocolate, chopped
1½ cups pitted dried dates
1½ cups flaked almonds
1¼ cups almond meal
5 egg whites
¾ cup caster sugar
Flaked almonds, to decorate
Creme fraiche, to serve
200 g block Dark Chocolate, finely chopped
½ cup pure cream
- Grease a 24cm round springform pan (base measuring 22cm). Line base and side with baking paper.
- Process chocolate in a food processor until finely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl. Process dates until finely chopped. Add to bowl. Process almonds until roughly chopped. Add to bowl. Stir in almond meal.
- Beat egg whites in a small bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks start to form. With motor operating, add sugar, 1 tblsp at a time. Continue to beat for 5 minutes until meringue is smooth and glossy.
- Gently stir a quarter of the meringue into chocolate mixture. Then gently stir in remaining meringue. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth top.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 55 minutes, or until golden brown and firm to touch. Stand for 10 minutes in pan. Remove side and base. Transfer cake to a wire rack to cool.
- Spread ganache over top of cold cake. Decorate with extra almonds. Serve with creme fraiche.
- To make ganache, place chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Bring cream to boil in a small saucepan. Pour over chocolate. Stir until smooth. Stand at room temperature, stirring occasionally, until spreadable.