This ultimate choc cake is a must for your Easter celebrations and can easily be turned into a choc-cherry cake with Cherry Ripe and a dash of red food colouring.
2 x 530 g chocolate cake mix
3 x 35 g Peppermint Crisp bars, roughly chopped
453 g tub creamy vanilla frosting
green food colouring gel
assorted chocolate Easter eggs, to decorate
- Preheat oven to moderate 180°C (160°C fan forced). Lightly grease the base and sides of 2 x 20cm cake pans. Prepare the mud cake mixes as directed, and pour cake mixture between the pans.
- Bake for 45-50 min or until cooked. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan and then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Prepare both the frosting mixes and stir through half the chopped peppermint crisp bar. Using a sharp flat-bladed knife, level the cakes, reserving the trimmings for another recipe (see Kitchen notes below).
- Place the first cake, cut side up on a serving plate or cake stand. Spread with frosting mixture. Invert the second cake onto the frosting, placing cut side down.
- Using a palette knife, smooth around the edges of the cake to ensure sides are even.
- Tint the vanilla frosting green with colouring. Spread over the top and sides of the cake. Spreading evenly with a palette knife. Top cake with assorted Easter eggs and remaining Peppermint Crisp. Chill until required.