⅔ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
⅓ cup plain flour
⅓ cup self-raising flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
75 g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 egg, lightly beaten
200 g block dark cooking chocolate, chopped
2 tsp vegetable oil
175 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
¾ cup icing sugar mixture
1 ½ tsp powdered gelatine
⅓ cup boiling water
½ tsp peppermint essence
Green food colouring
- Grease a 18cm x 28cm rectangular slice pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm above pan edges.
- Place sugar and combined sifted flour and cocoa powder in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add butter and egg. Stir to combine. Press over base of prepared pan. Smooth over top.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Cool in pan.
- To make the filling, beat butter and sugar in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Meanwhile, sprinkle gelatine over water in a small heatproof jug. Stand jug in a saucepan of simmering water, stir until gelatine is dissolved. With motor operating, gradually beat warm gelatine mixture into butter mixture until thick and creamy. Beat in essence. Tint green with colouring. Spread evenly over cooled base.
- Stir chocolate and oil in a medium heatproof bowl sitting over a saucepan of simmering water until smooth. Remove. Cool for 5 minutes. Spread over peppermint filling. Stand at room temperature until set.
- Lift slice out of pan. Cut into squares.