½ cup caster sugar
½ cup self-raising flour
2 tbsp plain flour
¼ cup cocoa powder
1 tbsp boiling water
Canola oil spray
1 tbsp cocoa powder
dark chocolate curls to decorate
¼ bunch mint to decorate
½ x 1 L tub vanilla ice-cream
liquid green food colouring
2 x 35 g Peppermint chocolate bars, chopped
- Grease a 26cm x 32cm Swiss roll pan. Line base and long sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm above pan edges.
- Beat eggs in a small bowl of an electric mixer for about 5 minutes, or until thick and creamy. Beat in sugar, 1 tblsp at a time, until combined.
- Sift combined flours and cocoa twice onto baking paper. Sift again over egg mixture. Add water. Gently fold until combined. Pour into prepared pan, spreading into corners.
- Cook in a hot oven (200C) for about 8 minutes, or until sponge springs back when touched.
- Place a clean tea towel on a bench. Top with baking paper. Lightly spray with oil. Dust with extra sifted cocoa. Turn out sponge onto paper. Remove lining paper. Working from one short side, firmly roll up sponge with paper and tea towel inside. Stand for 5 minutes. Gently unroll. Cool to room temperature.
- To make mint ice-cream, slightly soften ice-cream in a large bowl at room temperature. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. Tint with colouring. Stir in chocolate bars.
- Spread ice-cream evenly over sponge, leaving a 2cm border around edges. Roll up from short side to enclose. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Freeze for 4 hours, or overnight until firm.
- Remove plastic wrap. Place on a serving plate. Decorate with chocolate curls and mint. Serve immediately.