190 g (1 ¼ cups) plain flour, plus extra for dusting
2 ½ tbsp icing sugar, sifted, or granulated sugar substitute
5 tsp cocoa powder, sifted
75 g light margarine
3-4 tbsp iced water
380 g Nestle Caramel Top 'n' Fill
375 ml (1 ½ cups) skim milk
2 x 50 g eggs
30 g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- To make chocolate pastry, put flour, sugar, cocoa powder and margarine in a food processor. Cover and process until fine crumbs form. Add water, 1 tbsp at a time, and process until the mixture begins to form a dough.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and bring together to form a ball. Press mixture into a disc shape. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Roll out pastry between 2 pieces of baking paper until large enough to line a 3cm deep, 26.5cm (base measurement) loose-based flan tin, about 2mm thick. Line tin, trimming edges and discarding any remaining pastry. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 160°C (fan-forced). Cover pastry base with a piece of baking paper and fill with baking beans or rice. Put on an oven tray and bake for 10 minutes. Remove paper and beans. Reduce oven temperature to 150°C (fan-forced) and bake pastry shell for a further 10-15 minutes or until pastry is just cooked. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, to make caramel filling, put canned caramel, milk and eggs in a large bowl. Whisk until combined. Pour through a sieve into a medium jug. Put cooled pastry shell (on tray) on a shelf in the oven. Carefully pour filling into pastry shell (see tips). Bake for 40-45 minutes or until filling is just set. Set aside for 2 hours or until cooled completely.
- Remove tart from tin and put on a serving plate. Put chocolate in a small microwave bowl. Cook on medium/50% for 1-2 minutes, stirring after each minute, until chocolate has just melted. Stir with a metal spoon until smooth. Spoon chocolate into a small plastic bag. Cut a small piece off the corner and drizzle chocolate over top of tart. Set aside for 20-30 minutes to allow chocolate to set. Serve.