100 g good-quality dark chocolate, roughly chopped
1 cup plain flour
¼ cup cocoa powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
110 g butter, softened
⅓ cup firmly packed light brown soft sugar
⅓ cup caster sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
100 g milk or dark chocolate chips
½ tsp vanilla essence
500 g good-quality vanilla ice-cream
50 g chocolate-coated honeycomb snack bar (such as Violet Crumble)
½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- To make the vanilla-honeycomb ice-cream, spoon ice-cream into a bowl and soften for about 5 minutes, but do not melt. Meanwhile, use a rolling pin to crush the honeycomb bar in its wrapper into small chunks. Stir honeycomb and vanilla paste into ice-cream, then place in a shallow, freezer-proof container and return to freezer.
- Melt dark chocolate in the microwave for 30–60 seconds, or in a heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water, and set aside. Sift four, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder into a large bowl. In a separate bowl, beat together butter and sugars with an electric beater for 4–5 minutes or until mixture is pale and creamy.
- Beat in egg, mixing well. Don’t worry if the mixture starts to curdle. Slowly add four mixture and mix until combined. Stir in the melted chocolate, choc chips and vanilla essence. Refrigerate for 1–2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Form 12 walnut-sized balls with the mixture, place on trays about 5cm apart, then fatten slightly. Bake for 10–15 minutes or until starting to harden but still soft in the middle. Leave biscuits on trays for 5 minutes, then cool on wire racks.
- Remove ice-cream from freezer 5 minutes before serving. Place a scoop between two biscuits, sandwich gently, smooth edges with a blunt knife and serve immediately.