½ cup cocoa powder
⅔ cup boiling water
225 g unsalted butter, chopped, room temperature
1 ½ cups caster sugar
3 free-range eggs, room temperature
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
⅔ cup milk
1 ½ cups icing sugar mixture
¼ cup cocoa powder
25 g unsalted butter, softened
3 Tbsp boiling water
300 ml tub thickened cream, whipped, to serve
- Grease two 20cm round cake pans. Line bases and sides with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above pan edges.
- To make batter, whisk cocoa into water in a bowl until smooth. Cool to room temperature. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined.
- In two batches, fold in combined sifted flour, baking powder and soda with milk and cocoa mixture until combined. Divide evenly between pans. Smooth tops.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 40 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Remove. Stand cakes in pans for 10 minutes. Turn out onto wire racks to cool.
- To make frosting, sift sugar and cocoa into a bowl. Add butter. Stir in enough water to give a smooth, spreadable consistency.
- Serve cakes sandwiched together with whipped cream. Spread top with frosting