175 g unsalted butter chopped
1 ⅓ cups brown sugar firmly packed (275 g)
1 cup milk (250 ml)
⅓ cup cocoa powder (40 g)
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 ¼ cups self-raising flour (200 g)
1 tbsp cocoa powder to decorate
2 tsps instant coffee granules
1 tblsp boiling water
2 cups icing sugar mixture (320 g)
100 g unsalted butter chopped, at room temperature
- Grease a 22cm round cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper.
- Place butter, sugar, milk and combined sifted cocoa and soda into a large saucepan. Stir over a low heat until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil. Remove from heat. Stand, stirring occasionally, until cooled to room temperature. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Add ½ cup of the flour. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until just combined. Add remaining flour and eggs. Beat on high speed for 1 minute or until mixture is smooth and thick. Pour into prepared pan.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 50 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Remove. Stand in pan 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make coffee frosting, dissolve coffee in water in a small jug. Place icing sugar into medium bowl. Add butter and coffee mixture. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Spread frosting over top and side of cake. Dust with sifted cocoa.