Cooking oil spray, to grease
½ cup caster sugar
⅔ cup self-raising flour
2 Tbsp boiling water
½ cup store bought caramel sauce
1 Tbsp icing sugar mixture
300 ml thickened cream, whipped
3 mint leaves, for garnish
2 tbsp Dutch cocoa powder
1 bottle chocolate sauce, for garnish
½ cup sugar
2 tbsp water
¼ cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 32 x 24cm Swiss roll tin with cooking oil. Line with baking paper.
- Put eggs and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on high, using whisk attachment, for 5 minutes or until thick and pale. Sift in flour and Dutch cocoa powder and fold in until combined. Fold in boiling water until just combined (do not over-mix).
- Spoon mixture into prepared tin and smooth surface. Bake for 10 minutes or until light golden and dry to touch.
- Put a double layer of plastic wrap slightly larger than tin on a clean dry surface. Invert sponge on top. Carefully remove paper.
- While still hot, roll up sponge from 1 short side to the other, enclosing in plastic wrap as you roll. Set aside for 30 minutes to cool to room temperature
- Meanwhile, to make praline, combine sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cooking, stirrig untill sugar has dissolved. Cook a further 5-7 minutes, without stirring, or until a light golden colour. Stir in slivered almonds and pour into a baking tray lined with baking paper and leave to set. Once set, break into small pieces with a kitchen mallet.
- Unroll sponge. Spread with ½ cup store-bought thick caramel sauce and top with ½ of the cream.
- Re-roll sponge from 1 short side to the other, using plastic wrap to guide back into a roll. Put on a serving platter.
- Spoon remaining cream over sponge roll, spreading to coat top and sides completely but leaving ends uncovered. Drizzle with a thick chocolate sauce and scatter over a little finely chopped praline