250 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
¾ cup icing sugar mixture
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
3 cups plain flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
Icing sugar mixture, to decorate
200 g dark cooking chocolate, finely chopped
½ cup thickened cream
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in yolk until combined. Transfer to a large bowl. Add flour. Stir until combined.
- Transfer half the mixture to a separate bowl. Stir in sifted cocoa. Turn out onto a clean bench. Knead until smooth. Wrap each portion separately in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll out vanilla dough between two sheets baking paper until 4mm thick. Using a 6.5cm round fluted cutter, cut out 20 shapes, re-rolling dough as necessary. Place on a large oven tray lined with baking paper. Cut out centres using a 4cm Christmas tree cutter.
- Repeat method rolling and cutting out chocolate dough. Place rounds on oven tray lined with baking paper.
- Cook both trays in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 15 minutes, or until edges are lightly golden. Cool biscuits on trays.
- To make ganache, place chocolate and cream in a large heatproof bowl. Sit bowl over a medium saucepan of simmering water. Stir until smooth. Remove. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Spread about 3 tsp ganache over chocolate biscuits. Dust extra icing sugar over vanilla biscuits and place on top of ganache.