250 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
1 cup caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
4 eggs, room temperature
⅓ cup milk
1 ½ cups plain flour
¼ cup custard powder
3 tsp baking powder
3 egg yolks
⅓ cup caster sugar
2 tbsps custard powder
1 cup milk
150 g dark chocolate, finely chopped
⅓ cup pure cream
- Grease a 22cm round cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper, extending paper 3cm above pan edge.
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined.
- Fold in milk and combined sifted flour, custard powder and baking powder in two batches. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth over top.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 55 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Remove. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, make custard. Whisk yolks, sugar and custard powder in a medium heatproof bowl until combined. Heat milk in a saucepan until hot. Gradually whisk into egg mixture. Return to same pan. Whisk over a high heat until boiling and thickened. Transfer to a bowl. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until cold.
- To make glaze, melt chocolate and cream in a heatproof bowl sitting over a pan of simmering water. Stir until smooth. Remove. Cool at room temperature for 20 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- To assemble, cut cake in half horizontally. Place base, cut-side up, on a serving plate. Whisk custard until smooth. Spread over base. Replace top. Pour glaze over top.