1 quantity chocolate shortcrust pastry (see recipe, below)
100 g unsalted butter
¾ cup caster sugar
½ cup golden syrup
⅓ cup chocolate-hazelnut spread
2 eggs, beaten
½ cup hazelnuts, toasted
Icing sugar, for dusting
Whipped cream, to serve (optional)
Chocolate shortcrust pastry
1½ cups plain flour
150 g unsalted butter, diced
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 egg yolk
¼ cup chilled water
1 tbsp dark cocoa
- Roll out pastry between 2 sheets of baking paper until 3mm thick. Line a 35cm x 13cm rectangular flan tin with removable base with pastry. Trim edges and reserve pastry trimmings. Place pastry case in the freezer while preparing the tart filling.
- Put butter and sugar in a saucepan and cook over a medium heat, stirring, until no grains of sugar are visible. Add golden syrup and chocolate hazelnut spread. Stir over a medium heat until melted and combined. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Roll out reserved pastry trimmings between baking paper until 3mm thick then, using a ravioli or zig-zag pastry roller, cut into 1cm-thick strips. Add eggs to cooled chocolate mixture and stir until combined. Put pastry case onto an oven tray and pour in filling. Sprinkle with hazelnuts.
- Lay pastry strips over top in criss-cross pattern to form lattice. Trim edges, bake for 45-50 minutes or until set. Cool. Dust with icing sugar.
- Put flour, butter, sugar and cocoa in a food processor and process until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add egg yolk and water. Process until mixture begins to form a ball.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Pat into a flat disc, wrap with baking paper and refrigerate for 15 minutes.