3 x 340 g packets moist chocolate cake mix
180 g soft butter or margarine
2¼ cups milk
1 x 453 g tub chocolate frosting
150 g dark baking chocolate, chopped
⅓ cup thickened cream
½ cup caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Line the base and sides of three 20cm round deep cake pans with baking paper. Make each cake separately according to packet directions, add 60g butter or margarine, ¾ cup milk and 2 eggs to each packet mix. Beat on low speed for 30 sec, then increase speed and beat for 2 min. Pour each mixture into a cake pan and bake for 50-55 min or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool in pans for 5 min before turning out and cooling completely. Slice the domes from the cakes to make each cake flat.
- To serve, place one cake onto a serving plate or cake stand. Spread top with ⅓ cup of the milk chocolate frosting then sandwich together with a second cake. Repeat layer then top with remaining cake. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake to form a smooth layer. Place in the fridge for 30 min to set.
- Meanwhile, to make ganache place chocolate into a heatproof bowl. Heat cream in a small saucepan until just before boiling point. Pour over the chocolate, stand for 2 min, stir until smooth. Chill in fridge until slightly thickened but still just pourable. Pour ganache over the centre of the frosted cake, slowly moving outward in circles. Smooth the top of the cake.
- To make meringue, beat eggwhites and sugar in a bowl with electric beaters for 10 min or until sugar has fully dissolved. Place into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm plain tip nozzle. Pipe blobs over the top lifting up top to form peaks.
- Using a blowtorch, gently heat the meringue until lightly golden.