100 g cold unsalted butter, chopped
1¼ cups plain flour
2 tbsp brown sugar, firmly packed
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 egg, lightly beaten
1- 2 tbsp cold water
½ x 180 g block white cooking chocolate, melted
White chocolate shavings, to decorate
Panna cotta filling
200 g block milk cooking chocolate, finely chopped
1 cup pure cream
⅓ cup milk
¼ cup caster sugar
1½ tsp powdered gelatine
2 tbsp water
- Place a 25cm round x 2.5cm deep loose-base flan tin on an oven tray.
- To make pastry, process butter, flour, sugar and cocoa in a food processor until fine crumbs form. With motor operating, add egg and enough water until mixture starts to form a ball. Turn out. Shape into a flat disc. Refrigerate, covered for 30 minutes until firm.
- Roll out pastry between two sheets of baking paper, until large enough to line base and side of prepared tin (½cm thick). into tin. Trim edge. Pinch pastry against side of tin to extend ½cm above edge. Refrigerate until firm. Line with baking paper. Fill with dried beans or rice.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for 15 minutes. Remove paper and beans. Return to oven. Cook for 15 minutes. Cool.
- Meanwhile to make filling, stir chocolate, cream, milk and sugar in a medium saucepan until melted and hot.
- Sprinkle gelatine over water in a small heatproof jug. Sit jug in a small saucepan of simmering water. Stir until dissolved. Stir into hot cream mixture. Cool slightly.
- Brush white chocolate evenly over base of pastry shell. Stand at room temperature until partially set. Pour in cooled filling. Refrigerate for 6 hours, or overnight until set. Decorate with chocolate shavings.