400 g chocolate Swiss roll
⅓ cups caster sugar
1 cup water
12 ripe blood plums (1 kg)
2 cups chocolate custard
mascarpone topping (see method below)
Shaved chocolate, for decoration
600 ml tub thickened cream
250 g tub mascarpone cream
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Cut Swiss roll into 12 even slices. Arrange over base and halfway upside of a glass trifle dish (12-cup capacity).
- To make jelly, use a sharp knife to cut a small cross in the base of each plum. Place in a large heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Stand for about 2 minutes or until skin starts to come away. Immediately transfer plums to a large bowl of ice water. Peel and discard skin. Cut away flesh and discard stones.
- To make syrup, stir sugar and water in large saucepan over a low heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil. Gently boil for 5 minutes. Remove form heat. Stand pan for 10 minutes. Add plums and juice. Cool to room temperature.
- Strain plums over a bowl. Pour syrup over Swiss roll. Top with half the plums. Spoon over custard, remaining plums and mascarpone topping (see below). Decorate with shaved chocolate.
- To make mascarpone topping, beat the thickened cream in a small bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold in mascarpone and vanilla bean paste.