How to win friends and influence people – Step 1: make these chocolate pretzels. Step 2: share these chocolate pretzels. Step 3: your wish is their command.
¼ cup Dutch cocoa
¼ cup boiling water
125 g butter, at room temperature
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups plain flour
400 g dark chocolate block broken into pieces
Extra 1 Tbsp Dutch cocoa, to dust
- Combine cocoa and water in a small bowl to form a smooth paste. Set aside. Put butter and sugar in the small bowl of an electric mixer and beat on high, using paddle attachment, until light and creamy. Add egg, vanilla and cocoa paste. Beat until combined.
- Sift flour over butter mixture and stir until well combined.
- Work mixture until a smooth dough forms. Turn out dough onto a clean, dry surface and knead until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 oven trays with baking paper. On a clean, dry surface, roll heaped tablespoons of dough into 22cm-long thin pencil shapes.
- Bring ends around towards you, forming a triangular shape. Cross ends over each other and draw them back through loops, forming a pretzel shape. Press edges onto pretzel. Put on prepared trays. Bake pretzels for 8-10 minutes or until firm. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, line a tray with baking paper. Put chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, taking care base of bowl does not touch the water. Stir until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Put 1 pretzel in melted chocolate.
- Using 2 forks, gently coat pretzel with chocolate. Drain excess. Transfer to prepared tray. Repeat with remaining pretzels. Stand at room temperature until chocolate is set. Dust with extra cocoa. Serve or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.