180 g pitted dates, chopped
1¼ cups boiling water
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tub vanilla ice-cream to serve
1 cup thickened cream
300 g chopped good-quality dark chocolate
125 g butter, at room temperature plus extra for greasing
½ cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1½ cups self-raising flour
¾ cup hot milk
¼ cup Dutch cocoa
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease 4 x ¾-cup capacity pudding basins with butter.
- Put dates in a medium bowl. Add boiling water and bicarb of soda, then stand for 20 minutes or until dates are soft and cool.
- Meanwhile, to make batter, put butter, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl and beat, using an electric mixer, until light and creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour and stir until combined. Combine ¾ cup hot milk and ¼ cup Dutch cocoa in a heatproof jug. Cool, then add to batter with ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda and 1 cup dark chocolate chips. Stir until well combined
- Stir date mixture into batter.
- Spoon batter into prepared basins and smooth tops. Put in a deep roasting pan and pour in enough hot water to come halfway up side of basins. Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Meanwhile, to make chocolate sauce, put 1 cup thickened cream in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Cook for 3 minutes, then remove from heat and stir through 300g chopped good-quality dark chocolate. Stir until smooth and well combined. Pour into a heatproof jug and set aside to cool.
- Spoon vanilla ice-cream on warm puddings and drizzle with chocolate sauce to serve.