200 g dark chocolate, chopped
6 eggs, at room temperature, separated
⅔ cup caster sugar
1 tbsp premium Dutch cocoa
1 cup thickened cream
2 tbsp icing sugar mixture
½ cup black cherry and vanilla jam
Chocolate ganache sauce
300 g chopped dark chocolate
¾ cup thickened cream
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (140°C fan forced). Line a 30cm x 24cm Swiss roll pan. Melt chocolate and ¼ cup warm water in a glass bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a bowl, beat egg yolks and caster sugar for 3-4 min, or until pale. In another bowl, beat the eggwhites to stiff peaks. Whisk chocolate mixture into the egg yolk mix, then fold in eggwhites in 3 stages until combined. Spread mix into pan. Bake for 20-22 min or until cooked. Dust top of cake with cocoa then cover with some fresh baking paper. Invert cake onto a flat work surface, and remove the paper that was used to line the pan.
- Working quickly while cake is still hot, gently roll up from the longest edge, using the fresh baking paper to support the roll. Stand until just cool. Meanwhile, whip cream and icing sugar in a bowl until thick. Chill until required.
- Gently unroll cake and remove the paper, spread with cream filling, leaving a 2cm border, then dollop with cherry jam. Re-roll cake, then wrap in foil and chill for 1 hr. To serve, cut a portion of the cake and position on the side to make a tree branch. Spread with chocolate ganache sauce (see below). Decorate with chocolate leaves and edible silver and gold dust.
- Place chopped dark chocolate and thickened cream into a small heavy based saucepan and stir over low heat until melted. Let cool slightly before serving.