125 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
½ cup icing sugar mixture
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 egg yolk
1 ½ cups plain flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 cup icing sugar mixture
2 tsp - 1 tbsp water
Blue food colouring
¼ cup desiccated coconut
Pearl cachous, to decorate
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in yolk. Transfer to a large bowl. Add combined sifted flour and cocoa. Stir until mixture comes together.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured bench. Bring dough together with your hands. Shape into a flat disc. Refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough between two sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Using an 8cm snowflake-shaped cutter, cut out 22 shapes, re-rolling dough as necessary. Place about 3cm apart, on two large oven trays lined with baking paper.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 15 minutes, swapping trays halfway through, or until firm to touch. Cool on trays.
- To decorate, combine sugar and just enough water in a bowl until a smooth, thick piping consistency. Tint blue with colouring. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a 5mm plain nozzle.
- Working with one biscuit at a time, pipe onto biscuits. Sprinkle with coconut. Decorate with cachous. Stand at room temperature until set.