2 ½ litres vanilla ice-cream
350 g fruitcake
¼ cup brandy or sweet sherry
Cooking oil spray, to grease
1 cup caster sugar
¼ cup water
½ cup silver dragées, to decorate
- Put ice-cream in a large bowl and set aside for 10 minutes to soften slightly. Meanwhile, using your fingers, crumble cake into a separate large bowl and pour over brandy.
- Fold cake crumbs into softened ice-cream, then spoon into twelve 150ml-capacity freezer-proof tumblers. Freeze for 8 hours or overnight until ice-cream is firm.
- On the day of serving, lightly grease an upside-down 24-hole (1-Tbsp capacity) mini muffin tin with cooking oil. Put sugar and water in a small non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar is melted. Cook for a further 5 minutes, without stirring, until sugar turns a rich caramel colour. Remove pan from heat. Set aside for 2 minutes or until toffee has the consistency of runny honey.
- Using a teaspoon, drizzle toffee over 12 of the raised muffin mounds in a lattice fashion and set aside to allow toffee to harden. Once toffee has cooled and set, carefully remove from tin.
- Remove ice-creams from freezer and top each with a toffee crown, then decorate the inside of crowns with cachous. Serve immediately.