40 x 4 g small peppermint candy canes
4 ½ cups icing sugar mixture
2 ½ cups desiccated coconut
395 g can sweetened condensed milk
1 free-range egg white
- Grease an 18cm x 28cm rectangular slice pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 3cm above pan.
- Place candy canes in a medium snap lock bag. Seal. Using a rolling pin, gently pound until finely crushed.
- Place sugar in a large bowl. Stir in coconut and half the candy canes. Add condensed milk and egg white. Mix well.
- With damp hands, press mixture over base of prepared pan. Smooth over top with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle with remaining candy canes. Press into top. Refrigerate, covered, for 6 hours, or overnight until firm.
- Using paper, lift coconut ice out of pan onto a chopping board. Cut into 32 squares.