1 ½ cups plain flour
½ cup self-raising flour
¼ cup caster sugar
175 g cold unsalted butter, chopped
1 egg yolk
2 - 2 ½ tbsp cold water
icing sugar mixture, for dusting
double cream, to serve
410 g jarred fruit mince
700 g tinned tropical fruits in natural juice, well drained
1 cup almond meal
- Lightly grease a 26cm round x 3cm deep loose-base flan tin (base measures 24cm).
- Process flours, sugar and butter in a food processor until mixture resembles fine crumbs. With motor operating, add yolk and enough water until mixture forms a ball. Remove. Shape into a flat disc. Refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Roll out pastry between two sheets of baking paper large enough to line base and side of prepared tin. Lift pastry into tin. Trim edge. Press pastry against side of tin to extend 5mm above edge. Place on an oven tray. Knead pastry scraps together. Cover. Refrigerate with pastry case for 30 minutes.
- Line pastry case with baking paper. Fill with dried beans or rice.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for 15 minutes. Remove paper and beans. Return to oven. Cook for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until light golden. Remove. Cool slightly.
- To make filling, combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Spoon into pastry case. Coarsely grate pastry scraps over top.
- Cook in a moderate oven for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden. Remove. Cool in tin on a wire rack. Refrigerate overnight.
- Serve tart lightly dusted with sifted icing sugar and cream.