2 litre tub vanilla ice-cream
2 x 60 g bars soft almond nougat, chopped
⅓ cup slivered almonds, toasted
4 cups crumbled fruitcake (500 g)
Extra chopped soft almond nougat, to decorate
300 ml tub thickened cream
100 g dark cooking chocolate, finely chopped
- Grease and line a metal pudding steamer (8-cup capacity) with two layers of plastic wrap, allowing wrap to over hang edge by 12cm.
- Slightly soften ice-cream in a large bowl at room temperature. Beat ice-cream with a wooden spoon until smooth. Stir in nougat and almonds.
- Working quickly, spoon 1 cup nougat ice-cream over base of prepared pan. Smooth top. Sprinkle over 1 cup fruitcake.
- Repeat layering with 1½ cups nougat ice-cream, 1 cup fruitcake, remaining 2½ cups nougat ice-cream and 2 cups fruitcake. Cover with overhanging plastic wrap. Freeze overnight.
- To make chocolate sauce, combine cream and chocolate in a small saucepan over a low heat. Stir until smooth. Transfer to a medium jug. Cool.
- Uncover ice-cream and turn out onto a serving plate. Remove plastic wrap. Decorate with extra nougat. Top with a little chocolate sauce. Serve remaining chocolate sauce separately.