100 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
⅔ cup golden syrup
1 egg, separated
2 ⅔ cups plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
1 cup pure icing sugar
snowflake sprinkles or other Christmas sprinkles, to decorate
candy canes, to decorate
edible silver balls, to decorate
- Grease two large oven trays. Trace a 20cm circle onto two sheets of baking paper. Place trace-side down onto prepared trays.
- Beat butter and sugar in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in syrup and egg yolk until combined. Transfer to a large bowl. Add combined sifted flour, soda and spices. Stir until just combined.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured bench. Bring dough together with your hands. Divide in half. Shape into flat discs. Cover. Refrigerate for 30 minutes until firm.
- Roll out one dough portion between two sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Using an 8cm star cutter, cut out 11 stars. Using a 7cm star cutter, cut out 11 stars. Using a 3.5cm star cutter, cut out 11 stars, re-rolling dough as necessary.
- Lightly beat egg white in a small bowl with a fork. Arrange 8cm stars around traced line on one of the prepared trays, interlocking the points of the stars to resemble a wreath.
- One at a time, brush base of 7cm stars with egg white. Arrange on top of interlocking stars. Repeat with egg white and 3.5cm stars, arranging on top of 7cm stars.
- Repeat process with remaining dough and egg white to make a second wreath.
- Cook both wreaths in a moderately slow oven (160C), swapping the trays halfway through, for about 20 minutes, or until light brown. Remove. Cool on trays.
- Sift icing sugar into a bowl. Stir in about 1 tblsp water to give a smooth, thick piping consistency. Transfer icing to a medium snaplock bag. Squeeze into one corner. Twist bag. Snip tip.
- Drizzle over wreaths. Decorate with sprinkles, candy canes and silver cachous.