1 quantity of biscuit dough (see below)
330 g packet royal icing mix
liquid green food colouring, to tint
2 musk flavoured semi-soft candy stick (as close to yellow as possible)
white icing pen, to decorate
sugar mimosa balls or red sugar pearls, to decorate
250 g unsalted butter, chopped at room temperature
⅔ cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 ¼ cups plain flour
¼ tsp baking powder
- To make dough: beat butter, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Transfer to a large bowl. Add combined sifted flour and baking powder. Stir until well combined. Turn out onto a lightly floured bench. Bring together to form a soft dough. Divide in half. Wrap each portion in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour, or until firm, before using.
- Roll out each portion of biscuit dough between two sheets of baking paper until ½cm thick.
- Using a 13cm Christmas tree cutter, cut out 14 shapes, re-rolling dough as necessary. Arrange 4cm apart on two large oven trays lined with baking paper.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 15 minutes, or until lightly golden. Stand biscuits on trays for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Place icing in a medium bowl. Following directions on packet, gradually stir in 40-50ml of water until a spreadable consistency. Tint with colouring.
- Cut musk sticks crossways into thin slice to represent stars.
- One at a time, spread icing evenly over biscuits. Decorate with writing icing, red sugar pearls and stars, as pictured. Stand at room temperature until set.