½ cup milk (125 mls)
¼ cup caster sugar (55 g)
2 tsps dried yeast
2 ⅔ cups plain flour (400 g)
50 g unsalted butter melted
⅔ cup pecans toasted, chopped (100 g)
1 cup brown sugar (200 g)
½ cup pure cream (125 mls)
2 tblsps golden syrup
100 g unsalted butter chopped
½ cup brown sugar (100 g)
1 tblsp ground cinnamon
- Grease a 24cm round cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper.
- Heat milk to lukewarm. Remove. Lightly whisk in sugar and yeast. Cover. Stand in a warm place for 20 minutes, or until frothy.
- Sift combined flour and salt into a large bowl. Make well in centre. Pour in yeast mixture, eggs and butter. Gradually stir into flour mixture until a dough forms.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover. Stand in a warm place for 40 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- To make glaze, combine all ingredients in a small pan. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Simmer for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until slightly thickened. Pour ½ cup of glaze over base of pan.
To make cinnamon butter, beat all ingredients until fluffy.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 3 minutes. Roll out to a 30cm x 48cm rectangle. Spread with cinnamon butter. Top with half the nuts.
- Starting from the long side, roll up dough firmly to form a log. Place seam-side down. Trim edges. Cut into 12 slices, 4cm thick.
- Arrange slices, cut-side up, in pan. Cover. Set aside in a warm place for 25 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Stand in pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a plate.
- Pour remaining caramel glaze over warm scrolls. Top with remaining nuts.