600 g salmon fillets, no skin and bones removed
½ tsp sesame oil
50 ml extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp light soy sauce
pinch freshly ground white pepper
pinch good-quality sea salt flakes
1.5 l oil for deep frying
1 pack wonton wrappers
2 limes, segmented and finely diced
2 spring onions, white part only, 'very finely diced
6cm piece pickled daikon (available in Asian supermarkets), sliced and diced finely
3 radishes, finely sliced
½ firm iceberg lettuce
2 Tbsp Sriracha hot chilli sauce
10 mint leaves, torn
- Wrap salmon in plastic wrap and place in freezer for about 15 minutes before slicing. This will make it much easier to cut. When ready, unwrap and cut into 1cm-thick slices, then dice. Put salmon in a medium bowl and drizzle with sesame oil, extra virgin olive oil and soy sauce. Add salt and pepper. Spoon salmon straight onto a platter.
- In a deep-sided pan or wok, heat the cooking oil to about 180ºC when tested with a cook’s thermometer. Fry wontons in batches until crisp, about 30-40 seconds per batch, set aside. These will be used as a crispy cracker
- Tumble lime, onions, pickled daikon and radish over salmon.
- Chop lettuce very finely and pile it in a separate serving bowl.
- Serve lettuce, sriracha sauce and wontons alongside the salmon.
- To assemble, spoon salmon mixture on wontons, add a touch of sriracha and top with lettuce and mint.