250 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
½ cup caster sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp finely grated fresh lemon rind
1 tsp finely grated orange rind
1 ¾ cups plain flour
½ cup rice flour
icing sugar mixture, for dusting
- Grease two large oven trays. Line with baking paper.
- Beat butter, sugar, vanilla and rinds in a large bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add combined sifted flours. Stir until just combined.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured bench. Bring dough together with your hands. Divide in half. Shape into flat discs. Cover. Refrigerate for 30 minutes until firm.
- Roll out one dough portion at a time between two sheets of baking paper until 8mm thick. Using a 7cm angel cutter, cut out 30 shapes, re-rolling dough as necessary. Place about 3cm apart onto prepared trays.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C), swapping trays halfway through, for about 15 minutes, or until lightly golden. Remove. Cool on trays.
- To decorate, dust lightly with sifted icing sugar.