Cooking oil spray, to grease
½ cup caster sugar
½ cup self-raising flour
2 Tbsp boiling water
125 g punnet fresh raspberries, halved
1 Tbsp icing sugar mixture
⅓ cup raspberry jam
300 ml thickened cream, whipped
Small mint leaves, to decorate
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 32 x 24cm Swiss roll tin (see Tip, opposite) with cooking oil. Line with baking paper.
- Put eggs and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on high, using whisk attachment, for 5 minutes or until thick and pale. Sift in flour and fold in until combined. Fold in boiling water until just combined (do not over-mix).
- Spoon mixture into prepared tin and smooth surface. Bake for 10 minutes or until light golden and dry to touch.
- Put a double layer of plastic wrap slightly larger than tin on a clean dry surface. Invert sponge on top. Carefully remove paper.
- While still hot, roll up sponge from 1 short side to the other, enclosing in plastic wrap as you roll. Set aside for 30 minutes to cool to room temperature.
- Put raspberry halves and icing sugar in a small bowl and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Unroll cooled sponge. Spread over raspberry jam followed by ½ of the cream.
- Re-roll sponge from 1 short side to the other, using plastic wrap to guide back into a roll. Put on a serving platter.
- Spoon remaining cream over sponge roll, spreading to coat top and sides completely but leaving ends uncovered. Spoon over raspberry mixture and decorate with small mint leaves. Serve immediately.